venerdì 21 novembre 2014

DIY Expedit Separèe




Recently we moved in a terraced house and finally I got the mansard I was dreaming of, to build my own recording studio.

TOOLS USED:
- 2 normal screwdrivers
- an hammer
- an electric screewdriver / driller
- a manual saw
- the hex screwdrivers provided by ikea, plus the hex bits for my driller
- the "no more nails" glue
The space is around 50 square meters and I needed to divide it in 2 halfs, one for the project studio and one for the family (TV, WII, etc). I aimed to get a multipurpose bookshelf, a place for my DJ console and vinyls, less space to heat / cool. I avoided the plasterboard because I couldn't affort the installation costs and the removal wouldn't be easy. An Expedit solution meant that I splitted the costs buying an expedit from time to time, the structure isn't cemented but just layed on the walls. In addition this solution is more "interior designed" :-)




I glued together several ideas and my creativity to get a clean final result. Some expedit doors and drawers are still missing but I can afford to buy them in the future.

The DJ console was done following several ideas that you can easily find around the internet. But here are glued altogether.

STEP BY STEP FOR THE DJ CONSOLE
- I simply mounted the 4x2 expedit
- for the top, I added 2 capita legs (the inclined version, not on the catalog, but ask for them) and the lack shelf
- for the feet, 3 lillangen for the bathroom forniture
- for the headset, a bjarnum hook
- for the upper part, all stolmen elements (the shelf is the shoes rack)


STEP BY STEP FOR THE WALL SEPAREE:
- I designed the project with Adobe Fireworks
- I bought 6 expedit 4x4 white for the main structure
- I bought 2 expedit 4x2 white, one for the DJ console and one for the "door" effect
- I bought some doors and drawers
- 2 people are required to put one expedit on top of another, 3 people to install the door top
- I firstly mounted the 6 4x4 expedits (one person is enough, 15min the required time each)
- I passed the cables (phone, etc) over the upper expedit in order to hide all the cables
- I putted between each upper expedit and the ceiling (where you see the black cable) a kitchen zinc adjustable foots, with 2 felt pads to the ends in order to avoid scratches, and rotated them to keep the whole structure in tension towards the floor
- I mounted on 3 sides (left one shoulder) and adapted the 2x4 expedit cutting it with a manual saw, as you can see inside it's all paper except for the frame and the 2 ends, which are made of chipboard
- I extracted the endings and adapted with the NO MORE NAILS glue pressing the paper, or you can't mount the shoulders into the adapted structure
- After fixing it, I finished the little gap with the NO MORE NAILS glue using it as plaster
- At the end I used a stencil by Thisismykea
- I masked a gap between 2 expedits caused by the stairs railing with 2 kitchen neon lights




notice the cables that will be hidden after the top element will be mounted

the top element needs a "little" customization in order to fit the gap

notice that the ending has an hard chipboard terminal

use the saw to fit on your needs but take care, since inside is just chipboard frame and it's empty
just some filling paper (see below)

here's the chipboard ending, some filling paper and 2 pieces of chipboard frame

just push the chipboard ending inside, pressing the filling paper

rescrew the screws in place
recycling the ending results in having the original screw holes already in place

the stairs on the back forced a little tooth, but no problem
I applied LED lights on the back over the stairs, in order to enlight them

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento